Mass Spectrometry Research Associate
Seer is building a world-class team of mass spectrometry experts who are developing and applying the most cutting-edge technologies to study cancer and other diseases. We are rapidly expanding and continue to push the limits of mass spectrometry instrumentation and tools as we grow. However, we cannot move forward without our most valuable resource: people. Do you have the willingness and ability to solve difficult challenges as a member of a high-performance team as well as a track record to prove it? Do you thrive in a fast paced-startup environment and value a team-oriented company culture? Are you passionate about improving the lives of patients battling cancer and feel like you have the right skills for this challenging mission?
The Role & The Team
Reporting to the Senior Director of Mass Spectrometry, we are seeking up to 2 exceptional Research Associates to join our mass spectrometry team. This group implements and develops the newest methods for proteomics molecular profiling leveraging Seer’s proprietary technology platform and the latest generation of mass spectrometers. The driving focus of this team, working closely with the data science and bioassay groups, is to acquire as much molecular profiling data as possible from Seer-technology derived samples in order to develop information that is key to a variety of downstream utility and value propositions.
Seer’s new Mass Spectrometry Research Associate will ideally have a track record of accomplishments in academia or in the life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry. The successful candidate is likely to have a background in a bench laboratory scientific discipline such as biochemistry, molecular biology, or analytical chemistry, with 1 experience with mass spectrometry. This role requires experience with some form of complex laboratory instrumentation such as MS, HPLC, or LHR.
Responsibilities & Goals
The Mass Spectrometry group is focused on using the latest MS and associated instrumentation for proteomics molecular profiling. Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include:
- Carefully perform procedures on experimental samples derived from blood and blood products, urine, saliva, and other biological fluids or tissues.
- Perform routine calculations, data entry, and lab notebook maintenance, including electronic notebooks and other data annotation, curation, and storage formats.
- Operate sophisticated analytical equipment including HPLCs and mass spectrometers.
- Use and maintain standard molecular biological laboratory equipment such as pipettes, centrifuges, pH meters, desiccators, etc.
- Prepare laboratory reagents and buffers.
- Prepare samples (biological fluids) for analytical measurement.
- Facilitate disposal of associated experimental workflow waste streams including organic solvents.
- Work closely with the data science group as well as interact, collaborate, and support other functional teams within the broader Seer Research, Development, and Clinical framework.
Background & Qualifications
The successful candidate for the position of Mass Spectrometry Research Associate must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in academia or the life sciences industry. The ideal candidate will have had significant experience with mass spectrometry. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
- A BS or MS degree or equivalent experience in a bench laboratory scientific discipline such as biochemistry, molecular biology, or analytical chemistry.
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience in an academic or life-sciences industry laboratory setting (biotech start-up experience preferred).
- Experience with some form of complex laboratory instrumentation such as MS, HPLC, or LHR (MS preferred, notably on Thermo and/or SCIEX platforms).
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
We encourage you to submit your resume below or send to Careers@seer.bio. We look forward to hearing from you!
Seer is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.