Senior Automation Engineer
Seer is building a world-class team of experts passionate about developing cutting-edge technologies. We are rapidly growing a diverse team that is committed to pushing the limits of proteomics to discover new insights into biology and improve the lives of patients. Do you have the drive and talent to solve challenging questions as a member of a high-performance team? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment and value a team-oriented company culture?
The Role & The Team
Reporting to the VP of Product Development, we are seeking up an exceptional Senior Automation Engineer to join our Automation team based in our Redwood City office. This group to will support internal research groups, migrating assays, and processes from bench-top to automated liquid handling systems and integrated robotic platforms.
Seer’s new Senior Automation Engineer will be empowered to lead and manager the automation team. This individual is highly collaborative and able to work with scientists of all levels, has a keen attention to detail, and effectively communicates progress and results. Above all, the ability to troubleshoot and solve problems while maintaining a positive attitude is critical to success in this position. The ideal candidate will have 5 years of relevant experience and a track record of accomplishments in the life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry.
Responsibilities & Goals
Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include:
- Lead and manage Seer’s automation team.
- Recruit and train new automation employees.
- Development and testing of automation methods on Hamilton Star liquid handling systems.
- Represent automation on cross-functional project teams.
- Develop automation project timelines and ensure that automation projects are delivered on time.
- Configure, program and troubleshoot laboratory automated platforms
- Optimize existing automated processes to improve efficiency, throughput, robustness and quality.
- Provide support for existing equipment and coordinate vendor support as required.
- Support the installation, facility acceptance test and validation of the new and or revised equipment, automated systems to ensure quality compliance and user requirements.
- Author, execute and document test plans and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for automated workflows.
- Recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment.
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging technologies in laboratory automation systems.
- Manage relationships with third-party instrument and reagent companies.
Background & Qualifications
The successful candidate for the position of Senior Automation Engineer must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in academia or the life sciences industry. The ideal candidate will have had significant experience programming Hamilton liquid handling robots. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Key requirements include:
- BS/MS in science or engineering discipline, minimum 5 years of relevant experience, PhD not required
- Significant experience programming automated liquid handling systems (e.g. Tecan EVO or Fluent, Agilent Bravo, Beckman Coulter FX/NX, Hamilton STAR or Vantage) Experience with Hamilton STAR preferred
- Hands-on experience with assay development on automated systems: liquid handling performance qualification and inter-/intra- assay performance validation
- Experience defining liquid classes, labware dimensions, robot teachpoints, and motion vectors
- Able to troubleshoot and proactively maintain automation equipment
- Experience with assay development, mass spectrometry, and/or any other standard life-science laboratory workflows
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
We encourage you to submit your resume below or send to Careers@seer.bio. We look forward to hearing from you!
Seer is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.