Seer is seeking a Data Engineer, who will be empowered to design, build and maintain our cloud scale data processing architecture. The Data Engineer will work closely with the Mass Spectrometry team and will implement current proteomic data pipelines and integrate Seer’s proprietary technology platform. The ideal candidate will have significant relevant data engineering experience and a track record of accomplishments in academia or in the life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry. The driving focus of the Data Science team, working closely with the Mass Spectrometry group, is to extract value and insights from large scale datasets produced by Seer-technology. This role requires a strong entrepreneurial orientation, highly developed team skills and a burning desire to learn & grow. The successful candidate is expected to have a background in computer science, bioinformatics and/or biochemistry with 3-4 years industry experience in proteomics, ideally within both larger and smaller diagnostics and life sciences companies.
Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include the following:
- The design, build and maintenance of Seer’s data processing architecture including both scalable proteomics pipelines and metadata capture & annotation
- Carefully curate generated data sets, optimizing for traceability and ease of access
- Stay current with data engineering best practices and internally promote new techniques/ideas
- Interact with company leadership to develop Seer’s data strategy
- Work closely with the Mass Spectrometry group as well as interact, collaborate, and support other functional teams within the broader Seer Research, Development, and Clinical framework
The successful candidate for the position of Data Engineer must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in academia or the life sciences industry. The ideal candidate will have had significant experience building scalable proteomic analysis pipelines & data capture/analysis applications. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Key requirements include:
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in relevant discipline such as computer science, bioinformatics, molecular biology or biochemistry. Further graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience (4+ preferred) in an academic or life-sciences industry laboratory setting (biotech start-up experience preferred)
- Extensive hand-on experience designing and building infrastructure on AWS. Specifically, EC2, S3, Lambda, StepFunctions, Batch, SQS, Fargate etc. (AWS certification preferred)
- Demonstrable experience with cloud infrastructure scripting tools Terraform and/or CloudFormation (Terraform preferred)
- Proficiency in building, deploying and orchestrating Docker containers
- Superior Python skills (some familiarity with Django preferred)
- Familiarity of relational and non-relational databases. Proficient SQL
- Knowledge of OpenMS, MaxQuant, X!Tandem and other proteomic computational tools
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in relevant discipline. Further graduate degree preferred. 3-4 years of industry experience in a relevant field is required. Specific title and responsibilities are flexible to match a given candidate’s experience.