Senior Software Engineer
Seer is building a world-class team of data experts passionate about developing cutting-edge technologies. We are rapidly growing a diverse team that is committed to pushing the limits of data engineering, data science, and software engineering to discover new insights into biology and improve the lives of patients. Do you have the drive and talent to solve challenging questions as a member of a high-performance team? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment and value a team-oriented company culture?
The Role & The Team
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Data Science, we are seeking an exceptional Senior Software Engineer to join our Data Science team based in our Redwood City office. This group implements and develops the newest methods for proteomics molecular profiling leveraging Seer’s proprietary technology platform and the latest generation of mass spectrometers. The driving focus of this team, working closely with the mass spectrometry group, is to extract value and insights from large scale datasets produced by Seer-technology.
Seer’s new Senior Software Engineer will be empowered to design and build Seer’s internal full-stack data applications. The ideal candidate will have a track record of accomplishments in academia or in the life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry. The successful candidate is likely to have a background in computer science, bioinformatics, molecular biology, or biochemistry with 3 years experience in life science data engineering. This role requires superior skills in programs including Python or R, as well as a highly collaborative work ethic.
Responsibilities & Goals
The Data Science group is focused on using AWS and supportive tooling for processing and analyzing our proteomics molecular profiling data. Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include:
- Design, build and iterate-on Seer’s internal full-stack data applications to capture growing experimental metadata, annotations and results.
- Carefully design new tools to capture data sets, optimizing for traceability and ease of access
- Stay current with software engineering best practices and internally promote new techniques/ideas
- Interact with company leadership to develop Seer’s software engineering strategy
- Work closely with the Mass Spectrometry group as well as interact, collaborate, and support other functional teams within the broader Seer Research, Development, and Clinical framework
Background & Qualifications
The successful candidate for the position of Senior Software Engineer must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in academia or the life sciences industry. The ideal candidate will have had significant experience in building scalable life science focused data capture/analysis applications. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Key requirements include:
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in relevant discipline such as computer science, bioinformatics, molecular biology or biochemistry. Further graduate degree preferred
- Minimum 3 years’ experience (4+ preferred) in an academic or life-sciences industry laboratory setting (biotech start-up experience preferred)
- Superior Python skills (some familiarity with Django or other python frameworks preferred)
- Strong proficiency with git, CI/CD and the whole software engineering ecosystem & best practices
- Robust Linux shell skills
- Demonstrable hands-on experience leveraging infrastructure on AWS. Specifically, EC2, S3, Lambda, StepFunctions, Batch, SNS etc. (AWS certification would be a strong advantage)
- Familiarity of relational and non-relational databases. Proficient SQL
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
We encourage you to submit your resume below or send to Careers@seer.bio. We look forward to hearing from you!
Seer is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.