Seer is building a world-class team of data experts passionate about developing cutting-edge technologies. We are rapidly growing a diverse team that is committed to pushing the limits of data engineering, data science, and software engineering to discover new insights into biology and improve the lives of patients. Do you have the drive and talent to solve challenging questions as a member of a high-performance team? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment and value a team-oriented company culture?
The Role & The Team
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Data Science, we are seeking an exceptional Senior Bioinformatician to join our Data Science team based in our Redwood City office. This group implements and develops the newest methods for proteomics molecular profiling leveraging Seer’s proprietary technology platform and the latest generation of mass spectrometers. The driving focus of this team, working closely with the mass spectrometry group, is to extract value and insights from large scale datasets produced by Seer-technology.
Seer’s new Senior Bioinformatician will be empowered to perform expert informatics research and develop the data infrastructure including data pipelines. The ideal candidate will have a track record of accomplishments in academia or in the life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry. The successful candidate is likely to have a background in bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology, or systems biology with 5 years experience in bioinformatics. This role requires superior skills in programs including Python or R, as well as a highly collaborative work ethic.
Responsibilities & Goals
The Data Science group is focused on using AWS and supportive tooling for processing and analyzing our proteomics molecular profiling data. Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include:
- Perform expert informatics research, including establishment of scientific hypotheses that can be approached using computational methods and tools, execution of bioinformatics projects and analyses to support technology development both as directed and as opportunities present themselves
- Conduct the analysis of proteomics data from projects at different stages of research. The analysis may include data ingestion, QC, pipelining, integration, functional interpretation and visualization
- Support the multiomics data discovery activities through the design and delivery of novel algorithms, tools and techniques including feature detection, machine learning and intelligence
- Apply the system biology approaches to elicit the biological interpretation of the multiomics datasets to provide insights into different therapeutic areas, and to enable applications such as target discovery and patient stratification
- Provide training and advice to scientists on optimal use of key data and analysis
- Assist with the evaluation and implementation of new and existing data and analytical systems
- Provide subject matter expertise and share knowledge on computational biology tools, experimental design, data analysis methodologies, data interpretation, and novel approaches to support biomarker discovery and technology development
- Develop the data infrastructure such as data pipelines and management solutions to expedite the generation and analysis of a wide variety of proteomics studies, in conjunction with scientists, data scientists and data engineers
- Promote a culture of knowledge sharing across domains to proactively support sharing of best practices among informatics and science teams
Background & Qualifications
The successful candidate for the position of Senior Bioinformatician must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in academia or the life sciences industry. The ideal candidate will have had significant experience executing many complex proteomic based analyses across a suite of tools. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Key requirements include:
- Masters of Science (or equivalent) in relevant discipline such as bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology or systems biology. PhD level preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience (6+ preferred) in an academic or life-sciences industry laboratory setting (biotech start-up experience preferred)
- Strong hands-on R and/or Python and the application to bioinformatics
- Demonstrated understanding in the methods of protein identification and quantification by mass spectrometry, and proficiency in MS bioinformatics software and analysis tools
- First-hand experience in integrated analysis of large, complex proteomics for biological insights, mechanisms of action, employing pathway analysis, modelling, machine learning and other approaches
- Solid knowledge of informatics tools, statistical models and visualization/data mining packages (e.g. R/Shiny, genome visualization packages etc.) and aptitude for adapting to complex new analysis packages and using them to their full potential
- Knowledge of Skyline, OpenMS, MaxQuant, X!Tandem and other proteomic computational tools would be a distinct advantage
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
We encourage you to submit your resume below or send to Careers@seer.bio. We look forward to hearing from you!
Seer is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.