Research Associate, Mass Spectrometry
Seer is seeking a Research Associate to join the Mass Spectrometry group. This group is comprised of Scientists and Research Associates reporting to the Senior Director, Mass Spectrometry. They implement current methods as well as develop new methods for proteomics molecular profiling leveraging Seer’s proprietary technology platform and the latest generation of MS instrumentation. The driving focus of this team, working closely with the data science group as well as adjacent bioassay and clinical operations groups, is to acquire as much molecular profiling data as possible from Seer-technology derived samples in order to develop information that is key to a variety of downstream utility and value propositions.
This role will be based in the South San Francisco office through late 2019. Please note, the company is moving to its permanent location in Redwood City at the end of the year.
The mass spectrometry group will use the latest MS and associated instrumentation for proteomics molecular profiling. The job specific responsibilities are:
- Carefully perform procedures on experimental samples derived from blood and blood products, urine, saliva, and other biological fluids or tissues.
- Perform routine calculations, data entry, and lab notebook maintenance, including electronic notebooks and other data annotation, curation, and storage formats.
- Operate sophisticated analytical equipment including HPLCs and mass spectrometers.
- Use and maintain standard molecular biological laboratory equipment such as pipettes, centrifuges, pH meters, desiccators, etc.
- Prepare laboratory reagents and buffers.
- Prepare samples (biological fluids) for analytical measurement.
- Facilitate disposal of associated experimental workflow waste streams including organic solvents.
- Work closely with the data science group as well as interact, collaborate, and support other functional teams within the broader Seer Research, Development, and Clinical framework.
The successful candidate will have relevant experience in an academic or life sciences industry laboratory equipped with sophisticated instrumentation such as mass spectrometers, HPLC, and/or liquid handling robotics. The ideal candidate will have at least 1 year of direct experience with the use, management, and maintenance of mass spectrometers and associated instruments.
The candidate must bring teamwork skills, an attention to detail, superior productivity, a strong entrepreneurial orientation, and absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity to their work at Seer. They must be able to carry out detailed experimental protocols as well as contribute to the development of such protocols. They must be able to clearly and appropriately report on their work, as well as have an understanding of how their work fits in with and impacts the work of other colleagues and teams within the Seer Research, Development, and Clinical framework.
- A BS degree or equivalent experience (MS preferred) in a bench laboratory scientific discipline such as biochemistry, molecular biology, or analytical chemistry.
- Minimum 1 year experience (3+ preferred) in an academic or life-sciences industry laboratory setting (biotech start-up experience preferred).
- Experience with some form of complex laboratory instrumentation such as MS, HPLC, or LHR (MS preferred, notably on Thermo and/or SCIEX platforms).
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
BS or MS in relevant discipline and a minimum of 1 year of post-college academic or industry laboratory experience. Specific title and responsibilities are flexible to match a given candidate’s experience.