Process Development Engineer
Seer is seeking an Engineer for the Process Development group, who will support the development and scale-up of the company’s core technology platform. The ideal candidate will have significant relevant experience and a track record of accomplishments in academia or in the life sciences / pharmaceutical / biotechnology industry. Experience synthesizing nanoparticles and scaling such complex processes is highly desired. The role requires skills including particle synthesis, surface modification, and incorporates both organic and inorganic chemistry.
This role will be based in the South San Francisco office through late 2019. Please note, the company is moving to its permanent location in Redwood City at the end of the year.
Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include the following:
- Support lab activities for synthesizing and scaling nanoparticles and other biosensor samples
- Maintain and operate laboratory equipment and scientific instruments including balances, filtration equipment, particle sizers, centrifuges, and other instrumentation
- Support the company’s interactions with contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) to source and characterize nanoparticles
- Organize, evaluate, and communicate data in an effective and scientific manner
The candidate should have experience designing and executing protocols working in a chemistry or process development lab. Experience with process reproducibility and scale-up is strongly desired. Some knowledge and experience with statistical design of experiments and analysis of results is a plus. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Key requirements include:
- College or advanced degree in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, or related field; ideally with a focus on nanoparticle synthesis and/or surface modifications
- Knowledge and understanding of laboratory terminology, good documentation, and good laboratory practices
- Mechanically inclined and ‘hands on’ worker with experience in a laboratory setting
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
The successful candidate is expected to have a background in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, or related field with a minimum of a BS. Preferred experience is a BS with 2 years of industry experience or an MS or PhD with 0-2 years of industry experience. Title and compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s level of experience.