Director of Formulation Development
Seer is seeking a Director of Formulation Development, who will be empowered to broaden our library of biosensors for proteomic analysis. The ideal candidate will have significant relevant experience and a track record of accomplishments in academia or in the life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry. This role is part of a team focused on technology development through nanoparticle synthesis, surface functionalization, and analytical characterization. This role requires formulation and chemical development skills, preferably with particle-based systems, and knowledge of analytical characterization of complex formulations.
The successful candidate is expected to have a background in formulation sciences and synthetic chemistry with 12+ years industry experience in formulation or chemistry development, ideally within life sciences companies.
Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include the following:
- Overseeing lab activities for formulation
development of Seer biosensors, including
- Producing and characterizing R&D supplies of nanoparticle samples
- Conceiving of novel chemistries, surfaces, and biosensor types
- Sourcing reagents and other materials for syntheses or assay use
- Coordinating with assay development group to ensure biosensors are effective in proteomic interrogation assays
- Technology transferring lead formulations to process group for scale up and commercialization
- Maintain and operate laboratory equipment and scientific instrumentation, including chemistry and analytical equipment
- Assist in conducting the design, development, and implementation of physicochemical characterization techniques to support the core platform technology, with specific emphasis on particle characterization and their relationship to their performance in biochemical assays
- Organize, evaluate, and communicate data in an effective and scientific manner
The successful candidate for the position of Formulations Director must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in academia and the life sciences industry. The ideal candidate will have had significant hands-on and management experience developing complex formulations. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Key requirements include:
- Advanced degree in formulation sciences, synthetic chemistry, materials sciences, or organic chemistry, coupled with an understanding of particle physicochemical properties and characterization
- Knowledge and understanding of laboratory terminology, good documentation, and good laboratory practices
- Experience with particle-based or surface-functionalized systems as reagents or delivery vehicles for in vivo or in vitro techniques
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
MS or PhD in formulation sciences, synthetic chemistry, materials sciences, or organic chemistry is preferred. Twelve years of industry experience in a relevant field is required. Specific title and responsibilities are flexible to match a given candidate’s experience.