Associate Scientist, Assay Development
Seer is seeking an Associate Scientist, Assay Development, who will implement and contribute to the design of biochemical experiments that support the development and operation of the company’s protein assays. These assays form the foundation of breakthrough products and services in proteomic data, which Seer will provide to patients and clinicians. The Associate Scientist, Assay Development will report to the Senior Scientist of Assay Development. The specific assays developed for Seer will leverage nanoparticles, immunoassays, as well as the use of mass spectrometry as a detection approach.
The successful candidate is expected to have a background in biochemistry, biology, or pharmacology with experience in academia and/or industry, ideally within life sciences companies. Experience in industry, including the implementation of SOPs and testing in support of clinical or pre-clinical products is strongly desired.
This role will be based in the South San Francisco office through late 2019. Please note, the company is moving to its permanent location in Redwood City at the end of the year.
Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include the following:
- Skilled protein biochemist with experience of protein purification and protein separation involving primarily HPLC separations, SDS-PAGE, Western blots and other analytical protein characterization methods.
- Participate in the design, development, and implementation of biochemical experiments to support assay projects and development of the core protein assay platform, with specific emphasis on proteomic assays such as, ELISA, and mass spectrometry.
- Assay development with ELISA and immunoassay multiplexing technology. Duties including assay optimization, sample analyzing, assay troubleshooting, automation support, assay characterization and validation, generating SOPs.
- Follow established protocols for specimen processing, testing, inventory management and data recording.
- Perform installation and maintenance of laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Label, validate, accession samples and enter patient information into the Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Perform quality control methods and conduct analysis for the evaluation of manufactured kits, reagents and raw materials.
- Work with the broader Assay Development team to maximize assay performance across all functional assay elements, and to automate/streamline novel assays to meet clinical performance requirements
- Implementing standard operating procedures for current GLP and future CLIA facility
- Effectively present data internally to other Seer scientists and technologists
The successful candidate for the position of Associate Scientist, Assay Development will have demonstrated analytical and assay work in academia and/or life sciences industry. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
They must bring teamwork skills, an attention to detail, and superior productivity.
Desired requirements include:
- A Ph.D. (persons without formal degree who have comparable depth and breadth of training and experience and who meet job-specific criteria are eligible for consideration)
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques strongly preferred (i.e. ELISA, protein/peptide sample prep and separation, RNA and DNA preparations).
- Strong written and oral communications skills, with demonstrated experience in cross-functional and timely communication
- Strong and collaborative work ethic; must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- Must work well in a small team setting, with ability to work independently and collaboratively, while meeting scheduled deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and strong proficiency in documentation skills
Ph.D in a relevant scientific discipline, and industry experience is a plus but not required. Specific title and responsibilities are flexible to match a given candidate’s experience.